Prescott " Lightning/Thunder" Gymnastics Team Swinging into Shape
These athletes are hard-working, dedicated and strong. "Prescott Lightning/Thunder" has entered their competitive season and this year promises to be one of the best the team has seen.
“Gymnastics is a tough sport. These athletes are tough as nails,” said Coach Jon Sebastian.
The team is 60 members strong and there are 20 members of the pre-team. Over the past several years, Coach Jon has created a flourishing team that excels at all of the competitive gymnastics levels. “It takes time to build a team, but we are on a roll,” he said.
The competitive season began in mid-September and Jon thinks the girls are ready to demonstrate their improvements in the upcoming meets. This is the first year that there is an “optional” team, which includes girls who compete at a higher level. Advanced competitors, these gymnasts have moved beyond the compulsory level and are able to design their own routines.
A focus of the team this year is to establish high levels of quality while at the same time, keeping the injuries down. Strong gymnasts have fewer injuries.
“One of the things I like about working for the YMCA is that our standards are high, but we accept all body types and allow the girls to reach as high as they choose. I love to see that motivation,” he added.
Jon’s vision for the gymnastics program extends all the way down to the beginning levels where children learn the basics of grace and balance. Between 900-1200 children participate in gymnastics classes per week. On any afternoon, a visitor may see the enthusiasm and fun that comes with healthy activity. “With these numbers,” Jon said, “there is no shortage of gymnastics talent.”
TEAM WELCOME PACKET
- Director's Welcome Letter
- Guidelines and Informational Packet
- Girls Team Financial Responsibility
- Boys Team Financial Responsibility
- Behavioral Contract
- Meet Registration Form
- Meet Withdrawal Form
- USAG Athlete Membership Form
- Competitive Uniform Order Form
- Casa Grande Invitational (Girls Team) - October 22, 2016
- Arizona State (Girls Team Level 2 & 4) - November 11 - 13, 2016
- Arizona State (Girls Team Level 3 & 5) - November 18 - 20, 2016
- Fun to Flip (Boys Team) - January 7, 2017
- Lady Luck Invitational (Girls Team) - January 13 - 15, 2017
- Winterfest Invitational (Both Teams) - January 27 - 29, 2017
- Classic Rock Invitational (Girls Team)- February 2 - 5, 2017
- Southwest Jr. Cup (Boys Team) - February 4, 2017
- Sun Devil Classic (Both Teams) - February 24 - 26, 2017
- Chinese New Year (Both Teams) - March 3 - 5, 2017
- Arizona State (Boys Team) - March 11 - 12, 2017
- Arizona State (Girls Team Level 6-10) - March 17 - 19, 2017
- Arizona State (Girls Team Xcel) - March 31 - April 2, 2017
- Regionals (Girls Team Level 8-9) - April 7 - 9, 2017
- Regionals (Girls Team Level 7 & Xcel) - April 21 - 23, 2017
- YMCA Nationals (Both Teams) - June 28 - July 2, 2017